Reaching Scratch Cookers
Posted on: May 10, 2011
Client Situation / Challenge
- Client had product samples of a baking ingredient that needed to reach consumers quickly with no existing sampling program in place.
- Client’s initial idea was to target Moms with kids still living at home.
How PromoAid Addressed the Situation
- PromoAid recommended a revision to the target audience: Considering this product must be used in a from-scratch baking recipe, PromoAid recommended revising the target to include “Scratch Cookers.” Scratch Cookers may be more apt to use the sample and then purchase more of the product rather than just treat the sample as a “fun thing to try with the kids.”
Strategized the best communication method(s) to reach both Moms and Scratch Cookers by understanding how to communicate with these consumers during their daily lives, leveraging these consumers’ trusted sources of information, and identifying ways to get this product into their homes and used, not just into their carts.
The PromoAid custom search report included 4 categories of programs to deliver on the specific needs of this client:
- Location Based Sampling: These programs include the opportunity to hand out samples at locations the target audience will be in their daily lives (e.g. Daycare centers, Play Zones).
- Social Media Sampling: These programs can generate “buzz” around the product among the target audience as well as ensure the samples reach the correct consumers. The consumers have specific social media sites and bloggers they follow and rely on as a trusted source of information and these are the sites and bloggers the suppliers will target. The consumers will request the sample themselves.
- Geo-targeted Sampling: These programs focus on reaching the target audience at a specific location (like a Daycare center) that is within X miles of a store where the product is distributed. These programs will help to ensure the samples reach consumers who have the ability to easily purchase the product at shelf.
- At Home Sampling: These programs will ensure the samples reach the target audience where they are going to use the product – at home. Additionally, these programs guarantee 1 sample per HH rather than the potential of a single consumer taking multiple samples.
- Increased potential ROI of the sampling program by identifying that Scratch Cookers could increase sales more than Moms.
- Introduced the tactic of Social Networking to this client, providing the opportunity to extend the impact of this project’s budget by reaching beyond the consumers who will actually receive the samples with information about the product, usage ideas, and other relevant information, resulting in increased product awareness.